Sunday, February 10, 2013

Brainstorming and Links: Week 1

The first week, as we have already decided, shall be mainly brainstorming and research. Please take the time to post your links and ideas on this post, just to keep things organized. There should be an "edit post" button toward the bottom that looks like a pencil. Click that, then leave your research, ideas, and links under your name. If you cannot do that, then just leave it in a comment. I have never done a group blog, so I'm still figuring out how this works.

Feel free to visit at any point in the week at any hour of the day. This is basically an ongoing chat/messageboard for us to use. Ready? Set? RESEARCH!

Elizabeth:
  • Inequality Article: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/19/inequality-is-holding-back-the-recovery/
  • Thought: Inequality seems to be something that everyone thinks is bad and talks about doing something about, but it never really gets fixed. And is it really possible to completely cure inequality and remove poverty and such from the system of the earth? Either there has to be social levels or we have socialism and everyone suffers because socialism only works in theory. There can be no eutopia, only a few attempts that, after some time fail.
  • Thought: When we eliminate on inequality, such as when African Americans were given equal rights and such, do we create another inequality that is just that much harder to get rid of, such as women's suffrage? What if when we somehow figure out a way to get rid of poverty and world hunger and the like, something even worse comes into play? Just like the idea that if you cure the common cold you might create an even worse disease in the process. Is it paradoxical in that way, or am I just rambling, or both? Something to think about...

7 comments:

  1. You may use this post or start your own like Theresa did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can write in here. I will add my 2 links. That way everything is together. I think these 2 links would be good with part 1, since the Prof. is asking for more of a definition in this part.

    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-sociology-of-poverty.htm

    http://www.poverties.org/effects-of-poverty.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first link defines sociology of poverty.

      The second one is more of a cause and effect of poverty.

      Delete
  3. Okay, I emailed the professor about the "do we each turn it in or just one of us" and he gave me no direct answer. Maybe he'll say later on. For now, just keep doing what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d07343t.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.trinity.edu/mkearl/strat.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just posted a couple of websites i thought would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete